The School of Engineering is located at the main campus of the University of Zambia in Lusaka. It is currently upgrading its laboratory research facilities to meet the challenges of engineering practice in the 21st century. Over the years, the school has responded to various national challenges through teaching, research, training, consultancy and public service. The School of Engineering currently comprises the following departments:
- Agricultural Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Geomatic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Apart from offering the Bachelor of Engineering degree of the University of Zambia which is awarded upon successful completion of a five year programme of study, the School of Engineering also awards higher degrees (MEng and PhD). The total enrolment of students at any one time is in the region of 500. The BEng degrees in all the five disciplines are accepted by the Engineering Institution of Zambia and other professional bodies as fulfilling the academic requirements for registration as a professional engineer.
Role of the School of Engineering in societyThe purpose of the School of Engineering is embedded in the purposes of the University of Zambia, which are to:
Fulfill the historical purpose of a University through the pursuit of teaching, research and scholarship;
- Advance national development through the application of learning and research;
- Promote learning by offering opportunities for advanced education to all suitably qualified persons without distinction of race, gender or political affiliation
- Enhance Zambia’s potential to promote the goals of the wider African and international communities.